500g fresh mushrooms of your choice, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 onion, diced finely
20g dried mushrooms of your choice, porcini and mixed mushrooms work well
1 cup boiling water (for the dried mushrooms)
1/2 a block Lauds Original Oat Melt Cheese, grated or sliced into thin-thick slices
Shop-bought vegan puff pastry
Tomato relish or chutney to serve
- Remove the pastry from the freezer to allow time to defrost.
- In a small bowl, add the dried mushrooms and 1 cup of boiling water and allow the mushrooms to steep for at-least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan bake) if you are not using a pie maker machine.
- Heat a large frying pan to a medium temperature on the stovetop. Add some oil and cook the onions and garlic until the onions are soft and translucent. Remove and set aside.
- Add the fresh mushrooms and cook on high until crispy and golden. Reduce the heat to a low simmer, drain the stock from the dried mushrooms, discarding the mushrooms and add the stock to the frying pan. Add the onion and garlic mix back into the frying pan and simmer on a low heat for 15-20 minutes or until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed by the mushrooms.
- Grease your pastry tin or pie maker and cut the required shapes out of the pastry. Fill the pie with the mushroom mixture and add the cheese. Top with the last layer of pastry and place into the pre-heated pie maker or into the oven and cook as per packet instructions. (Pie maker, cook for 10 minutes or until pastry is crunchy and golden. Oven, bake for 20-30 minutes or until pastry is crunchy and golden).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool down further.
- Serve with tomato relish or chutney of your choice.