5 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 small brown onion, peeled and chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 ½ cups arborio (risotto) rice
¼ tsp table salt
½ jar (135g) Lauds Beetroot Cashew Cream Cheese
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
A few sprigs fresh sage (about 12 leaves)
¼ cup olive oil
- Bring stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat to low so the broth remains hot but isn’t simmering.
- Heat oil in a heavy-based pot or pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds. Add rice and salt and stir to coat.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the hot stock into the rice mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue to cook on medium-low heat, adding stock 1/2-cup at a time and stirring frequently after each addition, until most of the liquid is absorbed. The risotto is ready when you’ve used all the broth and the rice is creamy and just tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in Lauds Beetroot Cashew Cream Cheese.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and when hot add sage leaves, fry for 10-15 seconds until crisp. Remove from pan using tongs and drain on paper towel.
- Divide risotto between serving bowls. Top with fried sage and season with freshly ground black pepper tableside.