Vegan Carrot ‘Salmon’
3 large carrots, unpeeled
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp white miso paste
¼ cup hot water
1 tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp caper brine
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 nori sheet*
3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
¼ cup olive oil
270g jar Lauds Lemon, Garlic & Dill Cashew Cream Cheese
- Cut carrots in half lengthways. Place in a large pot, cover with water and salt. Bring to a boil then cook for 6 minutes until just tender, but not soft – they should hold their shape.
- Strain and transfer carrots to iced water immediately to stop them from cooking further. Once cool enough to handle, transfer to a wire rack set over the sink to dry and cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the marinade. In a medium bowl mix together miso paste with a dash of hot water to form a loose paste, add remaining water, garlic powder, caper brine, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and olive oil. Mix well and set aside.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the carrots lengthwise into three slices. Place in a medium glass container in layers. Pour marinade over, cover with a lid and place in the fridge until ready to use (allow the ‘salmon’ carrots to marinate for at least 30 minutes but overnight is best).
- To serve, remove carrots from the fridge. Slice bagels in half and toast lightly. Spread with a good dollop of Lauds Lemon, Garlic and Dill Cashew Cream Cheese, top with Vegan Carrot ‘Salmon’ carrot slices, capers and dill. Drizzle with lemon juice.
- The Vegan Carrot ‘Salmon’ will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days
- *We used 3 mini slices of the snack-sized nori seaweed